Wednesday, 18 February 2004

040217 - Placelessness

Placelessness..  I thought I would delve into the
depths of it.  So I have been for the last few
months..  as if New Delhi.. Rajasthan..  Bombay..
Colombo.. London were not enough.. I became so in New
York as well..  I have been homeless for a while now..
 within the City too I move from home to home.. 
living in a myriad of neighbourhoods..  and
circumstances..  out of the proverbial Box.. as they
say.  It comes full circle this karmic cycle.. 
whatever you turn you nose up upon comes back to bite
you..  I actually lived in the uppermost tip of
Manhattan..  in that land mass to the east they call
Brooklyn..  and might have to in that scariest of
scaries.. the nowhere land to the west they call
Jersey..  Did not Buddha or the Like say something to
the effect that it is only when you give up all your
pretences that you achieve Nirvana..  well going by
what I am going through I am definitely on the fast
track there..  I just hope it goes fast because I am
loosing my patience and mind and sanity..  what use of
achieving this Nirvana if you are a vegetable when you
acquire it.
How does One describe an existence which if one were
to read about it would seem rather odd..  I think I
did a lot of justice to that aspect of it through the
lens..  my camera was a very capable chronicler of
this time..  specially in India..  and if you are
interested I would be happy to send you the site which
holds images from the trip.  India..  boggles the Mind
and the Senses and the Soul..  it turns so intensely
erotic at one time.. so crude the next.. and so
obscenely erudite the next..  needless to say I was
overwhelmed yet again..  strangely, this time I was
experiencing it as an alien-yet-not-one..  I mean I
belong to it..  and yet everything even remotely
mundane was new and mystically alluring (thus the
millions of cow and cow dung photographs)..  I was an
alien in my own land..  connected to it.. yet from a
million light years and thought processes away.  My
parents and brother would not let me go and make so
much as a dinner reservation on my own or buy a bar of
soap..  I was not capable..  I had crossed some
invisible Ganga to someotherland where I needed an
individual with me all the time to help me negotiate
the price for the crossing.  At one point I simply
became a mute..  nodding my head to everything that
was said and done..  a silent spectator to decisions I
would have been loath for anyone to take for me in
normal circumstances..  Even though one tries to play
down the accent and mannerisms..  one cannot escape a
very simple aspect which lies beyond..  the underlying
Instinct of every human to Know the others place..  so
much for being a Citizen of the World..  I think we
still have a long way to go before we achieve that.. 
thankfully.  Not to say that the experience was
unnerving..  actually it definitely Was..  but I am
really glad that there are places where one is alien..
 even if it happens to be my own homeland..  it gives
rise to Adventure..  which I am sure is a building
experience.  
In the meanwhile the weddings I went for were truly
spectacular and precious..  my younger brother got
engaged in a ritual which involved a frightfull amount
of chaos and good taste which we were only too ready
to give but the takers were not too worthy of..
..and my best friend got married in a frenzy of a
whole convoy of cars bearing highly bejewelled
cousins, aunts, grandmothers, uncles (yes..  even the
uncles are bejewelled in India) breaking down en route
to the wedding in the middle of a shantytown on the
outskirts of New Delhi..  rather than being mugged by
the populace.. they pushed-fixed-polished-blessed our
vahans (cars)..  and we were on our way for our tryst
with the strikingly beautifull maiden from Bombay
(albeit reaching in true Indian Standard Time (two
hours late)).
Colombo turned out to be a taste of absolute
serendipity..  an island of tranquility in an
otherwise very crowded trip.
and then London..  with the dollar the way it is right
now it is a wonder I did not walk from the airport to
my sister’s place..  you see the greenbacks disappear
faster than a New York minute..  but then London is
the perfect transition between India and Columbus’s
almost India..  Heathrow has probably just as many
Indians as New Delhi Airport..  is just as chaotic and
dirty..  and London has just enough curry to make it a
perfect sleep over.
Not to say that India was anything near sleepy this
time..  it was renewed India I saw.. vibrant and alive
and roaring..  it was like a bejewelled, aristocratic
decaying maharani had suddenly turned over  in her
opulently decaying bed to display all her cards..  and
pictures they had on their faces all.  It really was
as the government sponsored propaganda machine
proclaims ‘India Shining’..  a land which holds the
promise of the future..  I cannot wait for the next
hand to be dealt out.
Continuing in the tradition of nobelese oblige I was
mugged twice.. in Stockholm earlier on in the year and
then in our very own New York..  I feel rather blessed
to be contributing to the general welfare of the
worlds have nots..  but I wish they would mail back my
wallets of which they will never appreciate the true
worth..
Since I have returned to the City.. every weekend has
been a snowboarding adventure with a SnowGuru called
Bu..  a nazi on the slopes (we went to Lake Placid
last weekend) .. and to whom I blame all the assorted
bruises on my body..  plus my striped tomato face.. 
but it is pure freedom itself..  every minute away
from the slopes is torture..  my computers cache
memory is clogged with snow associated data and
paraphernalia.. 
The candle is almost at its ebb (you wonder do you
not.. where I am living right now..)..  let me say
goodnight to a host of amazing souls who have offered
me hearth and home and continue to do so..  
there are a lot of stories and reminisces..  but I
shall wait till we meet again to unburden them all
lest you grow weary of this never ending barrage of
words I put you through..  and I am sure when we meet
we shall create some of our own..
 
Be well

No comments: