Thursday, 21 November 2002

021120- Upheavels & Such

The Parents are come and gone.. in the wake of their going they leave behind an Upheaval.. there you are just running along nicely.. not a care in the world.. the birds are polishing up their vocal chords and the bees are picking honey or some such.. and then all of a sudden the Parents land up.. and the carpet is swept up from below your feet.. all that stuff that you said you were looking into and was in progress and yes yes I am taking care of.. is out in the Open.. no where to run.. no where to hide.. you are laid bare.. There is no real girl you can introduce them to and say you want to get married to (sometime in the future).. Your gym has closed down since that day you first applied for membership and you did not even know.. and the creditors just keep calling and calling.. and this time there is someone at home to answer the phone calls.. and soon.. very soon you are about to change your listing with the INS as ‘Illegal Alien”.. hey! I can gel with that.. I can jiggy with it.. half of my New York brethren are the same after all.

I Tried.. I realize they have to be sheltered from the harsh realities of Life.. I pulled up my pants to the highest and buckled the belt to the tightest.. The maid was under instruction to clean the deepest corners.. but there were some corners that she obviously did not sweep.. and the cook prepared his most calorie conscious / healthy meals.. but I eat too less ( Quote ‘ You look like you are starving.. who will ever marry you if you look like this’).. with Them, it is ‘Do or not Do.. there is no Try (Yoda).

So here I am now.. haven forsaken My Life Uptill Now.. I search internet sites for the best Alien Lawyer Deal around.. at parties (the ones that I am still asked to), I scrounge for information on how to make myself legal once I go out-of-status.. My friends (those very same people who give me the body hug and the kiss-kiss) now avoid me like the plague for fear that I might ask a lawyer-deportation question. But there are advantages.. ask me the state in the US which has the best Labor Condition Application turnaround.. and I can tell you sooner than you can say Whatsthat..

I feel Freer now.. more Knowledgeable.. I know that if someone says ‘Ahh A Green Card.. you can get that in months..’.. he is bluffing.. it is a long and devious process, fraught with peril.. your longest and dirtiest underwear is going to be flapped around in the wind for all to see by the end of it.. it may take a lifetime.. and what do you have at the end of it?.. a card (which I am given to believe is not even green) that says you can work here as you wish ( but wait there is a condition.. Only if you show your face up here for a period of six months very year).

When will it end.. these red tapes that stop humans from being what they are.. from doing what they want to do.. and being what they are and where they want to be.

In the meanwhile..

I have a new pet plant who does not appear to be getting along too well with his new environs.

My maid has left me saying that I am too whimsical about her timings.

My car (an almost present from a dear friend leaving for sunnier pastures back home) died en route from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia of a seizure in Breezewood, PA.

My cell fone is threatening to do the same very soon.

Thankfully I still have 50 000 miles with Swissair to take me as far as Europe on Economy, an unopened bottle of Portuguese red wine and friends who look in on me once in a while.. a mix just right to make Life worth living.

It is almost like staring again.. You think you have everything going hunky dory and suddenly the world shakes...

It is a New Life..

And I say Bonjour

No comments: